Thursday 10 November 2016

Meanwhile, north of the border…

(Image from: By AWeith (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)


Unsurprisingly, this week has been all about the USA. In fact, I don’t remember a time in my life when the rest of the world was this focused on the USA and its future approach to trade! On that note – I promise to do a review of what I see in the Trump administration’s first 100 days[i], as they relate to trade. President-elect Trump made some promises to the voters about his first hundred days (after he assumes office, not yet), and a few of the points could directly impact trade compliance professionals. I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I plan to have a look at that, and see what may be in the cards…
In the meantime, there’s a couple developments north of the border I’d like to mention.
First up: something I hadn’t actually heard about until recently: the TFA. What’s that? Its long name is the “World Trade Organisation (WTO) Agreement on Trade Facilitation”, or “TFA” for short. The TFA is essentially an agreement to standardize and streamline customs release processes among member nations (members of the WTO). Below is an image of the official pamphlet[ii]:


There’s nothing earth shattering in here, but it will affect countries that adopt it. Perhaps the most controversial portion is an agreement for the more “developed” countries to help (through direct financial aid) less advanced countries as they adopt the provisions. Significant provisions include:

·         Prompt release times at the border
·         Release upon bond, not requiring payment of duties up front
·         Processes for advanced rulings
·         Processes for appeals and audits
·         Discipline regarding fees, charges and penalties
·         Authorized operator programs

Overall, as I say, not that revolutionary from a North American perspective, but clearly a big change for some other countries. As expected, the USA has signed this deal. It will come into force when 2/3 of the members ratify the deal. Imagine my surprise when I read the list of current signatories and my own county wasn’t on it? Canada is usually first to the dance floor when UN or WTO agreements are proposed! Especially considering the little impact it would surely have on us, I was really confused.
A look at the Global Affairs Canada web site doesn’t help much:

http://www.international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/wto-omc/negotiations-negociations.aspx?lang=eng

Yes, there is a great FAQ section and a presentation, but the answer to the question “When will Canada ratify the TFA?” is:
“Canada will be in a position to submit its instrument of acceptance to the WTO, once Bill C-13, introduced in Parliament on April 13, 2016, receives Royal Assent.”
Hmmn. It’s 2016 right, Justin? (Inside humour only a Canadian would get…). I’m really unsure why this is not ratified. The government has a majority, which is as close to a totalitarian government as you can get in Canada, so nothing is stopping them. Honestly – I don’t know. Just curious – if anyone has insight into this and would like to comment or reach out to me please do – is there more to the story than I know, or is this just the slow wheels of bureaucracy? It’s most unlike us to be the last to the table….
The other thing I’d like to discuss is CETA. It looks like Wallonia relented (See: Last post) and CETA will become reality. It’s time we take a hard look at the provisions, and prepare to adopt its rules into our trade compliance lives. Well… sorry folks: I took too long, this entry has reached its limit. But I will be back with a look at CETA rules of origin and what to expect for those familiar with NAFTA!



[i] https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/_landings/contract/O-TRU-102316-Contractv02.pdf
[ii] https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/20y_e/wto_tradefacilitation_e.pdf





No comments:

Post a Comment